Airventure 2014 is almost upon us! 45 Days and counting…
I just attended the first Webinar: Tips for Flying to Airventure earlier this week…What’s new this year?
- And TFR’s associated with them Aug 1-3rd, 2014 all the way to 16,000 ft.
- Crowd lines set back on those days
Airshow Time Change
- 1:00-4:30 pm on the last Sunday
New Approaches to VFR arrivals near Midway (MDW) and altitudes.
- But techniques remain the same
- Altitudes changes to below 2000ft over Chicago Airspace
Managing the Risks
- *Landing Accident*– still remain high. But nothing that can avoided by practice!
- Taxi Accident
- Take-off Accident
Should you fly to Airventure?
- Your recent experience counts. Immensely. Practice. Practice.Practice!
- VFR Navigation by ground references
- Holding specified speed and altitude…
- Non Standard Approach Patterns: Right Traffic
- Descent on downwind and very short final!
- No downwind and very short final!
- Spot Landings
- Last Minute Landing Changes— Go Around,
- Runway Width Illusion ( landing on a taxiway :-))
- Know your limits!
- Non Standard Radio Communications
- Whose in Charge?
- No exceptional skills needed. You just need to practice to sharpen your skills.
Planning your trip:
- download your copy of the NOTAM (1-800-DOWNLOAD)
- movement areas is controlled by FAA
- Might not always be your best choice
- Traffic separation
- High volume of non transponder traffic
When should you arrive?
- Arrive early mornings (less traffic)
- Schedules in the NOTAMs when group arrivals occur
- Avoid just before or just after the airport closes!
Space for parking
- Show planes have room (vintage airplanes)
- Other GA almost do get in… but due to ground condition can be restricted
- Listen to ATIS for latest information!
- Parking Status updated
- Check neighboring airports
- Have extra fuel reserves!
- What to expect?
- What to watch for?
Packing the plane
- Plan for diversion
- Have chocks and tie-downs (rentals available)
- Have signs..
- Go Around if needed..
- Checkout Airventure.org/atc
- Plan your departure
- Departure sign
- Departure ATIS
- Markings changed
Checkout the Webinar for all the Tips and Tricks to flying into Oshkosh during Airventure!
BTW 61% voted they would be there 🙂
See you there!
Reblogged this on Fly 'n Things and commented:
Airventure 2015 is almost upon us!